2017 ORMTA Provincial Vocal Competition
2017 Competition Quick Facts:
- Date and Location TBD
- Featuring students of ORMTA members from different parts of Ontario. Student must first qualify at the branch and zone levels.
- Prizes: 1st place - $750, runner up - $500
- Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
RULES for COMPETITORS
These rules govern all ORMTA Competitions for Branch, Zone and Provincial Finals
- Competitors must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents (landed immigrants). The competitors must be currently studying with an Active ORMTA teacher as of January 1, 2017. This teacher must be the principal teacher of the competitor and must be a member in good standing. Competitors must compete in the competition held in the teacher's Zone.
- Competitors must have participated at both the Branch and Zone level competitions and obtained a First Class Honours standing (80 % or above) there before being eligible to proceed to the Provincial finals. Each Zone may send ONE competitor to Provincial finals.
- Competitors may enter either the Young Artist or the Provincial Student Competitions but not both in the same year. With a new programme, previous winners may re-enter the same competitions once only, not necessarily in concurrent years.
- Competitors must not have reached their 31st birthday as of January 1, 2017.
- Competitors are responsible for their own expenses (travel, accommodation, accompanists, etc.).
- Use of photocopied material is prohibited for competitors and accompanists. An original score must be provided for the adjudicator.
- PROGRAMME: The programme must be at a level of difficulty equal to Grade 9 or above. To avoid teachers’ and students’ disappointment, we recommend that the programme be taken from any officially recognized Canadian syllabus, such as that of the Royal Conservatory of Music, Conservatory Canada, Canadian National Conservatory of Music, Contemporary Showcase or the Canadian Music Showcase. It must not exceed 20 minutes in total including accompaniment.
- Competitors must perform at least three selections in two or more languages. Repertoire should be chosen carefully to reflect the experience and maturity of the student. The style and suitability for the performer as well as stylistic balance of the programme will be considered in the adjudication.
- The same programme must be performed and adjudicated at all levels (Branch and Zone levels) of the competition. All selections performed in competition must be memorized.
- Competitors are advised to read all information carefully.
- The above rules including the time limit must be strictly adhered to at the Branch, Zone and Provincial levels. Failure to comply in any area will result in disqualification.
- The application form must reach the convener on or before May 31, 2017.
- The entry fee of $150.00 must accompany the application. Any late applications will be subject to a charge of $80 for a total fee of $230. Any applications received after June 6, 2017 will be returned.
For more info, please contact ORMTA Provincial Performance Competitions Convener,